G R E G O R E I T E ABOUT   +   WORK   +   PLAY   +  

Friday, October 26, 2007

brains in hands

watching scales of poi, one of the most profound things i heard nick say (and there are many), is that many poi routines are similar to the meditation of "patting your belly while rubbing your head" (or vice versa).

Particularly I have been interested in starting each hand going in a different direction (i.e. same time, opposite direction), and then stalling both simultaneously and smoothly, then performing a double reverse immediately post stall. A stall, however, requires a great deal of feedback between the hand and the poi tension, to pull it off while maintaining perfect string tension... in fact, i often feel my whole body reacting to the stall, stretching and moving to let that ball find its "place", so to do it in two different directions at once presents a good solid challenge, and new learning space, for my body and my brain.

Fun! :)

No comments: