G R E G O R E I T E ABOUT   +   WORK   +   PLAY   +  

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

injury & why warm-up = juicy goodness

Just this morning I injured my neck again. For the third time in 2 months. I'm kind of tired of injuring myself. So I'm gonna do a little extroverted introspection here to get to the root of it.

So here were the sources of the injuries:
  1. Extreme backbend partner yoga, from cold start
  2. Swing dance backflip, cold start after 4 hours driving in car.
  3. doing 40th (pushing muscle failure) rep of parallette dip / push-ups
The first two I will put in the category of "insufficient warm-up" and the third I will place in the category of both "insufficient warm-up" (those were my first exercises of the morning) as well as "pushing too hard."



As a child I had a body-building instruction manual co-written by Joe Weider and Arnold Schwarzenegger, which amongst its gems included:
  1. "Never count your reps. If you need to count, just say in your head "one, one, one..."... all that matters is the last rep. You've got to push your muscles to exhaustion. Its in the last 10% of your reps that you get 90% of your muscular growth."
  2. "If there aren't enough weights to load up the bar for your max squat, simply have a friend stand balancing on top of your shoulders to add that amount of weight."
    Those have been words of inspiration my entire fitness career. The first part has, honestly, been a bit more useful than the second... though with my acro practice, I am starting to really see the wisdom of point 2... I would actually amend it by saying:
    1. Drop all the weights. Add humans atop your shoulders and increase their weight and number gradually as you improve both strength and balance. Start with small children (40-80 lbs), transition into fit girls (80-120 lbs) and move up from there until you can comfortably squat supporting an adult male (175 lbs)
      Oh, and to get back to the initial subject line of this blog:



      ALWAYS WARM UP BEFORE PRACTICE!!!!  :)



      Yours in health and play,


      Greg

      No comments: