G R E G O R E I T E ABOUT   +   WORK   +   PLAY   +  

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Galactic Girl in Flight

In my tender youth, I discovered that I had a talent for illustration. One of my very first drawings (there were three)
the Vargas Girl which graced Georgia Peach, a WWII bomber depicted my idea of an angel: an ample, athletic woman in full back arch, naked, flying Jake flying Kathyrn, Sheeps Meadow, NYC through space, her hair flowing wildly in the wind. I entitled the piece Free Flight. Galactic Girl, which graces the side of White Knight Two

Max and I walked the dogs today, and engaged in a stimulating conversation about the imminent human colonization of both Mars and extra-solar space. We also had a lively debate about the flight-readiness of Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo. I recalled from the unveiling (at which I was present) at NextFest 2007 that they planned for first flights in 2009. So upon our return to the house, we Google-duelled until wikipedia provided an adequate answer: First consumer flights in 2011ish.

Upon studying the "artists renderings," I noticed a small graphic on the hull of the ship, and zoomed in with curiosity. It appeared to be a classic WWII pin-up girl! I am in genuine admiration of Branson's balls. The first consumer spaceship and he puts a pinup girl on the front. As soon as I saw her, I was shocked at the resemblance to my drawing, which has been present in my mind more and more since I've been basing and flying.

A little more investigation and I found out her name is Galactic Girl, that shes modeled after the Vargas girls of the early 20th century, and a natural evolution of the Scarlet Lady which graces the hulls of Virgin Airways fleet of Boeing 747s.

I posit here that Galactic Girl is no stranger to the art of Acroyoga. :)

center photo of Jake B & Kathryn U playing acroyoga

No comments: