G R E G O R E I T E ABOUT   +   WORK   +   PLAY   +  

Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Purpose of Yoga Asana

I've been thinking more and more of my Sunday session with Monica.

As noted (a few blog posts) below, I think I lost 5 pounds of water weight during her teaching. And at the start, and the middle, and the end, she repeated the same wisdom:

"The entire purpose of asana is to bring our minds to a state of stillness. Some can achieve this in simple lotus. Others need to completely physically exhaust their body forms before their mind can come to rest."


Me, I'm in the latter. But lately, I've been practicing in other places. Like on the plane up here today. I was sitting next to a sexy young girl, and obviously I desired to communicate with her (and I did), but there were also times in the 3 hours of flight and tarmac that I wished to turn inward deeply (and I did). To get to that deep inner place, I thought of Monica's teaching.

And I did it again today walking through Central Park. And again tonight in my apartment. remain calm. seek inner peace. it will all be OK. :)

G

No comments: