G R E G O R E I T E ABOUT   +   WORK   +   PLAY   +  

Thursday, July 3, 2008

We be AcroJammin NYC!

Well, Jake started the AcroNYC Google Group, which takes up on the text-messaging foundation that Mary built, and perfect timing since I just joined this community.

So now we have a NY city-wide acroyogi superhero community building / flash mob decentralized communication hub! YES!

Via this mechanism, I was able to participate in the playtime in Central Park today. It was ultra-fun, very challenging, and by the end, I was ready for both a nap and a beer.

Participants included Jake, Mary, Metta, Jules, Wendy, and me. We warmed up for about 15 minutes then paired off for some basics. But pretty soon, we were into some *crazy* moves, including a daring inverted twist into full flip!

I put Wendy through a fairly advanced sequence including the flip and a jumping inverted flying handstand start, and we practiced it three times to make sure it was recorded in our bodies. it just got better and better each time.

In this sense, AcroYoga is incredibly similar to rock-climbing; it blends elements of balance, raw strength, improvisation, and serious problem solving skills all together in a spontaneous partner-based art-form.

In all we jammed for about 5 hours straight. The high is so good, I often found myself just drawling post-sequence, especially after flying.

Jake was a genuine ambassador to the arts, and not only gave me great training, but just by watching him I learned a lot. There were admirers all the while (the meadow we were playing in prolly had about 2000 people in it), but one group in particular started doing basic gymastics about 200 feet from us. Dear Jake just called out to them and said "wanna play and learn?" and the best of them came over with his two girl friends, and Jake proceeded to base him into a pretty badass sequence... this was this kids very first time doing acro. Afterwards, coming down, with a stunned look on his face, he asked "Is there somewhere I can learn how to do this more?" A card was given. I knew the look in this kids eyes. He was hooked.

Many more hours and water, and some poi spinning, and some hooping, later, we all joyously parted ways... until tomorrow, the 4th of July Jam :)

PLEASE GOD LET ME PRACTICE ACROYOGA AS A HAPPY FULFILLING LIFESTYLE!

No comments: