G R E G O R E I T E ABOUT   +   WORK   +   PLAY   +  

Thursday, January 20, 2011

splits: the agony and the thrill


As I push, my inner thighs scream. Tendons approach the edge, straining to the limit of their stretch. My breathing gets deep, really deep. My heels hurt, as 90% of my weight rests atop them. And I am closer. Closer. Almost... there.

"There" is a goal I've had for years: the full wide splits. And now as I approach this practice more seriously than ever before, it gets into deep meditation. All I can think about when I practice the splits is my relationships. And splits, duh: its about breaking up. And at the same time, it is some kind of bridge, isn't it? extending the heels wider than any other part of the body can reach? 6 feet, 7 feet? With full strength!??!!

As my width has expanded, I've been practicing muscle tensioning in that extreme position. Tightening the thighs and glutes while gravity does the rest. I think it helps. And then there's the aftermath: crying, panting, headrush... and some strange behavior that I've never needed before, but is totally instinctual post-splits:

I simply cry, lean, and embrace the wall, my cheek in bliss against the cold drywall. And my mind empties... and


that.
is.
all.

No comments: