G R E G O R E I T E ABOUT   +   WORK   +   PLAY   +  

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Jivamukti Part 3

So tonight on a whim, and really needing to get out in the world, I made my way up to Jivamukti and took the 5 o'clock class with Monica. In fact, I met Monica in the elevator of all places.

It was a full 2 hour class, and very crowded. I placed my mat front and center right up facing the altar and windows. We started slow and easy with chanting, then in no time she had us pushing through some high speed vinyasa flow. Strangely, a sign on the street said "Bikram Yoga" which I had not noticed in my past two visits. Well, today's session was pretty close. It had to be at least 90 in the room, and I was literally making puddles with the amount of sweat coming off my body. I was amazed and happy about it. More than in any other exercise, sweat in yoga represents the impurities exiting your body. And tasting my sweat as it beaded and dropped into my mouth, it tasted like clear water. Meaning, to me, that my system was running pretty damn clean.

We even did some wild hand balances with one foot wrapped around behind our heads. I particularly appreciated this asana since it was what brought me into yoga in the first place 30 years ago.

Monica was born in India and her formal training showed, especially in the way she said "eeeeenhahl..... eXhayle." Her joyous energy and calmness pervaded the whole session. And she KICKED us with the bridges, which I hit better than I ever had in my life.

I walked out of JM in a complete bliss state, ready to live "be here now." Which I did as soon as I hit the streets. But thats another story for another blog. :)

No comments: