G R E G O R E I T E ABOUT   +   WORK   +   PLAY   +  

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tha Hang(ing) Man


I was recently dealt the Hanged Man Tarot card. This terrified me. I had always had fearful associations with this card... in a personal journey self-loathing kind of way.

I'll start this story with an aside. I recently met a girl at a Burning Man party. She had a Chinese character on the back of her neck. I asked her what it meant, and she replied "Chicken Soup with Rice". That was funny. As we got deeper into the conversation, she expanded on the meanings. She had picked it quickly from a book, under the impression it meant "princess, queen". Upon further exploration she found it also had a somewhat negative meaning, and this made it difficult for her. I felt she really had to own it, in the sense of getting all the vibe from it and recognizing it as a part of her past.

Now I'm feeling the same way about the Hanged Man. Here's the image, followed by some notes:

Grimaud, Tarot of Marseilles - France (1963, reprint of 1761 of Nicolas Convert)


Now, color me surprised, but this "Hanged Man" is clearly an acrobat. His face is calm, his leg is stagged perfectly; his foot is in a hanging loop. This is an aerialist at play! So there! :)

No comments: