G R E G O R E I T E ABOUT   +   WORK   +   PLAY   +  

Monday, April 4, 2011

OK, I'm starting to get it now...

My first thought of fasting, in my 20s, was Gandhi

My second thought of fasting, in my 30s, was a quick and easy way to lose weight and avoid cooking

My third thought of fasting, a few days ago, was as a little ritual to meditate on, and to kickstart myself into a new dietary, nutritional, and healthy realm.

But through all those years, I'd always thought of it as a "pause for the psyche, and an accelerant for the body." What I never even considered was the cleansing aspect, which of course, the Master Cleanse makes readily clear (no pun intended).

My previous fasts had been simply water fasts. Pure and simple. Stop eating, and drink water. That's it.

This master cleanse is more like, well, an engine flush. In addition to the cessation of eating, you're drinking a liter of heavy saltwater every morning. 'Drinking' is a bit of a misnomer. What you're really doing is flushing your entire digestive system, from espohagus to stomach to intestine to colon, with heavy water. Because that water shoots through the entire system in less than an hour. And you get to see for yourself the proof of what's been hiding in there, kind of like the oil change dude showing you your old oil filter. And, even to me, its a surprise.

I'm hoping that, and wondering if, I'll be flushing clear by day 8. Here's to optimism! :)

No comments: